Sunday, September 27, 2015

cross update...

Sorry this has taken so long. maybe the fact of three weeks of cross racing in a row. maybe the fact that I've been overwhelmed with this racing. or just tired.

But in any case, this will be a short wrap up of what's been happening...

Since Blue Sky or Not, we had NEOCycle; which was a cross race on the beach. Amanda raced the Single Speed class, and Genaro & I raced the Fat bike class. I wasn't sure how hard to go, since I had another race to follow.  I went hard for the first few laps, but then took it easy in the end to save myself for my second race. So many hand-ups were had. 

The good news is that Amanda got a podium spot on her race!

As my second race came up, I decided to stick to the fat bike; because of the sand and the fact that I knew I could race the whole thing without getting off the bike. I did not want to run in the sand. This may have been a good idea or not, but I had fun and more hand-ups. It's hard when one guy giving you hand ups is giving you a full beer, and it's nice beer. Just a shot is all it takes. If I could have gotten :30 sec time bonus' for my hand-ups, I would have won.
I am currently perplexed by the cat. that I am racing, but that's another story for another time.

The week following was the race in Brooklyn. I felt good. The weather finally felt like cross weather. I stood on the starting line looking at the guys next to me, and I was the only cat 4 in my race. Everyone else was cat 3/2/1. This Masters 35+ class is kicking my ass. I will finish this season off in this class, but I'll think about what I'm going to do next season.
During the week leading up to the race, our community lost one of our own due to a still perplexing accident. A fellow cyclist passed away due to a drivers negligence (since then we lost another from the same accident). Thanks to Marshall, we had a moment of silence before our race to remember those we lost. Thanks again to Marshall for that.
The race started and I had a really good start. I was sitting third with the fast guys, and feeling good. We weaved in and out of the trees at the start of the lap, and a slight down hill and a 90 degree left turn...was my down fall. I hit the corner too hot, and ran into the course tape. It got wrapped up in my bars, and by the time I got out, the field had passed me. That turned into a slight up hill; which I was not in the proper gear. So from then on out...I ran my own race. I climbed everything, didn't dab my foot once. Since last year of racing single speed, I am getting used to shifting during race scenarios. So that's a plus. 

But I had a good race. I felt good. Just one slip up and that's cross. Not sure how many more races there are (at least three), and I'll be there. If you've never been to a cross race...you should come out. Cheer us on. Hand us a beer. Or just hang out. If you're interested in racing, we are always welcome to talk. Or if you're looking for a team, hit us up as well. As you can tell from this post...we're not too serious, except about having a good time out on the course.

Hope to see you at the next race [at the Velodrome Oct. 11th (it's a good weekend for me)]...





No comments:

Post a Comment